250 Million People
780 People Groups
225 People Groups
With little or No Christian testimony
Indonesia is a big country, and an increasingly important country on the world stage.
- Over 17,000 islands, making it the world’s largest archipelago; 6,000 are inhabited.
- Over 250 million people, making it the fourth most populous nation in the world.
- Culturally and linguistically, Indonesia is made up of 780 distinct people groups. Of these, 225 have virtually no exposure to the good news of Jesus Christ.
The Biblical challenge is compelling.
- God called Abraham (Genesis 12) to faith, with this promise: ”All the families on earth will be blessed through you.” This promise to Abraham surely includes the 780 people groups of Indonesia.
- At the end of the Biblical story (Revelation 7), there appears “a vast crowd…from every nation and tribe and people and language, standing in front of the throne and before the Lamb.” Certainly God intends for the 780 people groups of Indonesia to be counted among those worshipping the Lamb.
- At the end of his earthly ministry, Jesus left us with these words: “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth … go and make disciples of all the peoples” (Matthew 28). 2,000 years have passed since Jesus spoke those words, yet many of Indonesia’s peoples are still unreached.
- Protestant Christianity is one of the country’s six officially recognized religions, estimated to be 8 – 10% of the total population.
- Indonesia is more open to Christianity than other similar countries. Christianity’s annual growth rate is 2.8%, making it the fastest growing religion, yet many people groups remain unreached.
- Christians increasingly seek to reach their own fellow citizens with the Good News, but they often need training, mentoring, and encouragement along the way.
Now is the time to partner with the Indonesian church to make Jesus Christ known among the unreached peoples of Indonesia.